Thursday, November 1, 2012

FOB unaware

I recently went to a delivery where the mother was HIV positive. We were told by 4 nurses on the way that the father of the baby (the FOB, as we say), was unaware of the mom's HIV status so to make sure we're discreet about it when we go in. Man. I stood there at the warmer, waiting for the baby to be delivered and saw the FOB holding the mom's knees, encouraging her to "push" and overall, looking quite excited for the upcoming event. I felt bad for him. And I felt bad for her. Living a daily lie. Hiding the truth. Probably scared about the consequences of telling him about her HIV diagnosis. Nervous about coming up with an explanation of this daily medication that the baby will have to take for at least 6 weeks. And him being clueless. And of course, I think of the risk he is in (they are not using condoms obviously) for contracting HIV. For spreading it to others (unfortunate reality in a population that hasn't stressed sex for monogamous married people only). Man. That sucks. (That is the depth of my eloquence at 3:30 am during a night shift speaking).

No comments: