Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Little Victories

This past weekend, hubby and I were fortunate enough to have our priest and his family come to our house. We had been waiting for this day so that our house could be blessed. I was anxious about the visit. Not because Abouna was coming over...but that he had two kids...and kids are picky eaters. And we are in the middle of a fast so the grown-ups are eating fish and fish is a sensitive subject for many kids. (One of our relatives tells her kids they are having sea bass-chicken or salmon-chicken..."just add chicken at the end and they forget they're eating fish!"...such a smart mom). Anyways, I decided to make chicken tenders for them and they could eat pasta with pesto and salad like the adults if they wished. Well, Abouna's son made my day. "Best pasta ever!!" said the quiet kid with a huge smile on his face. Later when his mom and I were cleaning up after the late lunch, he asked her if she had gotten the recipe from me!! Small but big victory for me. I am starting to realize the pride that Egyptian women have when kids like their food. Even if it required to culinary skill on my part--you can't get easier than pasta with pesto!! :) :)

No comments: